Week #2: Friendship
Theme: Let's make friends and have fun together. Children participate in a friendship scavenger hunt. Supervisors learn about fostering friendships. Recess is a special time during the school day for students to socialize informally with friends, meet new students and make new friends.
- Students learn qualities of a good friend and how to make and be a friend. They engage in a fun activity.
- Supervisors learn about friendship, how to foster friendships and mealtime conversation starters and tips.
Refreshing Recess Week #2 Lesson Plan (download handout)
Supporting materials (downloadable)
Every Moment Counts materials:
- Friendship Development (for supervisors and teachers)
- Fostering Friendships – Strategies for Supervisors
- Peer Mediated Strategies (for OT, teachers, supervisors)
- Making Friends for students
- Conversation Starters for students
Materials from other sources/authors:
- Tony Attwood's website about Understanding and Teaching Friendship Skills at http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php/publications/by-tony-attwood/archived-papers/75-understanding-and-teaching-friendship-skills
- Friendship Observation Schedule (Retrieved from http://cdn.tonyattwood.com.au/images/stories/pdfs/obs.pdf)
- Indices of Friendship Observation Schedule (Retrieved from http://cdn.tonyattwood.com.au/images/stories/pdfs/fos.pdf)