Week #4: Get Fit And Get Along
Theme: Let's get fit and get along. Children engage in Fitness Trail and learn about the physical and emotional benefits of being active. Supervisors learn about and apply PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) during recess.
- Students engage in enjoyable active play and learn about the physical and emotional benefits of being active.
- Supervisors encourage active play and learn the basics of PBIS in order to promote positive behaviors during recess.
Refreshing Recess Week #4 Lesson Plan (download handout)
Supporting materials (downloadable)
Every Moment Counts materials:
Ohio PBIS website and select materials:
- Ohio PBIS Fact Sheet (Retrieved from http://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/Topics/Other-Resources/School-Safety/Building-Better-Learning-Environments/PBIS-Resources/Ohio-Positive-Behavior-Interventions-Network-2/Fact-Sheet.pdf.aspx)
- Cultural Practices That Enhance Climate and Safety at http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/School-Safety/Building-Better-Learning-Environments/Cultural-Practices-That-Enhance-Climate-and-Safety
Materials from other sources/authors:
- Youth Physical Activity: The Role of Schools
- Play to Learn: Active Recess Through Systematic Supervision. Refer to Playground Games, pp. 67-91.
- Recess Revival: An Implementation Guide to Active Recess