Bundle and save.
Get 15% off when you buy multiple on-demand webinars. 25% off when you buy all five.
Embedding Mental Health Promotion Strategies in Everyday Ways in Schools: Interdisciplinary Integrated Services Fostering Participation and Health
Embedding mental health services within a multi-tiered framework requires confident leadership by interdisciplinary school personnel (OTPs, PTs, SLPs, school counselors) who are knowledgeable about health (mental and physical). Legislation (IDEA, ESSA) as it relates to services for students with and without disabilities and/or mental health challenges supports the need to foster participation in activities and interactions throughout the day that promote health. The evolving role of related service providers to address the participation and health needs of all students using multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS) will be emphasized. Specifically, school mental health calls for the use of indigenous resources in schools (e.g. providers with knowledge and skills in addressing mental health) such as occupational therapy practitioners and school nurses in addition to traditional mental health providers. Participants will learn practical examples of how to embed activity-based multi-tiered services in schools using integrated, collaborative strategies in natural contexts (academic & non-academic) to promote positive mental health in all students with and without mental health challenges. A range of service delivery approaches will be depicted such as co-teaching in the classroom, small group interventions during lunch and recess, coaching strategies, and environment-focused intervention. Practitioners will provide specific examples of how to implement Every Moment Counts model programs and embedded strategies at the universal, targeted, and intensive levels.
Buy for a group and save!
Receive an instant 15% off for 2-4 participants.
Get 25% off for groups of 5 or more.
Questions? Visit the FAQ.
What you'll receive:
- Power Point presentation (pdf) and bonus video tour of the website. Access to webinar for 90 days.
- Personalized certificate of completion with contact hours after you have completed the webinar and submitted the feedback form
Contact hours: 2.5
- Distinct value of interdisciplinary professionals (e.g. OT, PT, SLP) on the mental health and wellbeing of students with and without disabilities and/or mental health challenges
- Impact of special education (IDEA) and general education (ESSA) legislation on integrating services to promote participation and health (mental and physical) in all students
- Multi-tiered, public health framework for mental health promotion, prevention, and intervention
- Expanding service delivery approaches beyond individualized intervention and consultation to include co-teaching, small groups, coaching, and environment-focused services
- Practical examples and success stories from practitioners skilled in implementing Every Moment Counts mental health promotion strategies and programs within a multi-tiered framework (individualized, targeted, and universal)
- Consider the distinct value of interdisciplinary team members (e.g. OT, PT, SLP) on the mental health and wellbeing of students with and without disabilities and/or mental health challenges;
- Demonstrate an understanding of special education legislation (IDEA) and research evidence supporting integrated related services as best practice with students;
- Describe the intent of ESSA and how related service providers, as SISPs (Specialized Instructional Service Personnel), can contribute to universal and targeted services to promote health (physical and mental);
- Demonstrate an understanding of a multi-tiered public health framework for addressing the mental health needs of students with, without, and at-risk of mental health challenges;
- Explain how a range of service delivery models (e.g. co-teaching, small group interventions, coaching, environment-focused interventions) can be used to integrate services throughout the school day in a variety of settings;
- Describe practical strategies for embedding Every Moment Counts’ evidence-based services and programs at the universal, targeted, and individualized levels to promote participation and mental well-being in academic (classroom) and non-academic (e.g. cafeteria, recess, after-school) school settings.
Interdisciplinary school providers with a focus on related services including occupational therapy practitioners, physical therapists, speech language pathologists, school counselors and psychologists, and school nurses. Content is also relevant for teachers (general and special education), school administrators (principals, special education directors), PE teachers, and cafeteria and recess supervisors.
Carol Conway, MS, OTR/L
Carol Conway, MS, OTR/L is a pediatric occupational therapist with over 40 years’ experience, specializing in school-based practice. In her current position at Hudson City Schools in Ohio, she provides services for students in grades 3-5. She serves on the district leadership team and has been instrumental in successfully shifting OT service provision to an integrated model, thus maximizing the impact of OT at a whole-school level. She is on the leadership team for Every Moment Counts contributing to the development and implementation of several model programs emphasizing integrated services. Carol presents at the local, state, and national level and has published articles regarding inclusion, integrated services and the use of communities of practices as a method of knowledge translation.
Lezlie Fahl Kinder, OTR/L
Lezlie Fahl Kinder, OTR/L is an occupational therapist in Lake County, Ohio where she provides services primarily to students on the autism spectrum - many of whom struggle with emotional self-regulation. She has worked with children with special needs for over 35 years and is the recipient of the Walter D. Franklin Outstanding Educator Award and the Lake/Geauga County Outstanding Special Educator Award. She presents to parents, educators & others on subjects such as technology, supporting sensory/behavioral/motor needs, integrating therapy service into general education settings and supporting mental health. She contributed to the Embedded Services section of the Every Moment Counts website as one of the founding Occupational Therapy Change Leaders. She has great interest in collaboration and with helping to empower all members of educational teams to use effective, user friendly strategies with students helping them to not only succeed but thrive
Marta Kilrain, MS, OTR/L
Marta Kilrain, MS, OTR/L earned her BS and MS at the University of New Hampshire. She has worked with children in the school setting for 18 years with a focus on gaining functional skills for increased independence and meaningful participation throughout the school day. She currently provides direct services at Maple Wood Elementary in Somersworth, NH. For the past 11 years, she has served as the OT/ PT Program Director at Strafford Learning Center. Marta has had the privilege of serving as an adjunct professor for MCPHS, supervising students for their mental health community fieldwork placement. Marta was a co-facilitator working to bring Every Moment Counts to the state of New Hampshire. When not at work her occupations include cooking, gardening, reading and chasing her three energetic children.
Susan Bazyk, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Susan Bazyk, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA is the founding director of Every Moment Counts, which was launched in 2012. She has 40+ years' experience as an occupational therapy (OT) practitioner, educator, and researcher. In addition to authoring the book, Mental health promotion, prevention, and intervention with children and youth: A guiding framework for occupational therapy (2011), Dr. Bazyk has authored over 40 journal articles and book chapters. Recent awards include Crain's Cleveland Business Health Care Hero Award (2016), AOTA's Award for Innovative and Emerging Practice (2018), and World Learning Fulbright Specialist Award (2019-2024). Sue is committed to building capacity of interdisciplinary teams to learn about and implement Every Moment Counts strategies and programs. She presents and consults both nationally and internationally.
Disclaimer: The Every Moment Counts webinars are intended for educational purposes only and do not replace independent professional judgment. Implementation results depend on participant’s clinical expertise and commitment to best practice with children/youth and families served. As such, Every Moment Counts, LLC is not responsible for the outcomes or results that you anticipate from learning about and using the information presented.
For questions regarding this webinar, please contact us.